Select designers receive subsidized office rent, design development, education and consulting for their brands.
Designers in Residence Accelerator Program
The AAF Designers in Residence Accelerator Program will provide resources to supplement 3 fashion designers and entrepreneurs with all the necessary key tools to launch their brand including office space, access to the sourcing library and machines, as well as guidance from industry leaders along the way.
• 6 months of shared work space with all utilities and Wifi included (option to upgrade to private office at steep discount)
• Onsite guidance from industry leaders in design, manufacturing, branding, marketing, legal, financing and business.
• Detailed Education/Consulting on design/manufacturing, tech packs, flats, specs, marketing, financing and business
• One Sloper/Block pattern and 2 variations of that style in a base size
• Sample sewing for 3 garments at cost
• Unlimited access to all machines in the makers space during building hours
• Unlimited access to the sourcing library during building hours
• Limited access to photography, video and sound studios
• FABRIC Membership (See benefits HERE)
• Upgraded directory listing on LabelHorde
• Runway show featuring winners (includes event space, runway, chairs, lighting, sound, coordinator, marketing, photos/video)
Over $18,500+ value
Designers/brand owners should be willing to...
Commit at least 20+ hours a month during normal business hours to running their fashion brand at FABRIC.
Commit to grow your brand during the course of the program so it can be measured for economic impact for the city of Tempe.
Develop marketable products (at least 3 ready-to-manufacture pieces that have been developed with tech packs) to be shown on the runway at the end of the scholarship program in the scholarship fashion show CULTIVATE.
Participate in producing and marketing the Cultivate Fashion Show.
Attend all mandatory meetings and events listed below.
Actively participate in and/or attend all FABRIC/AAF community events including monthly Behind The Seams, business/industry seminars and workshops, AZ Eco Fashion Week, and any educational or marketing opportunities that are provided by FABRIC/AAF to the community, etc...
Add a business listing in the AZ fashion directory.
Subscribe to and read FABRIC/AAF's newsletter Haute Off The Press to stay informed of all opportunities.
Appear on camera or in print for media/press opportunities that promote your brand and/or FABRIC/AAF.
Continuing to participate in FABRIC/AAF activities and opportunities beyond the scholarship period for at least 1 year including the annual December Fashion Show featuring 60 local brands.
Actively promote scholarship activities on social media and other marketing effforts.
Mentor future scholarship winners.
Parking and transportation fees at FABRIC are the designer/brand's responsibility.
Building access is limited to regular business hours Monday through Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm.
DEADLINE AND IMPORTANT DATES
November 10, 2019 Application Release
December 10, 2019 (midnight) Application Deadline
December 18, 2019 7pm 12 Finalists Chosen (Will be contacted by email by December 20th. If chosen, finalists are required to come in for interview on January 8, 2020)
January 8, 2020 (5:00PM-8:00PM) Interviews with 12 Finalists (Finalists required to attend)
January 13, 2020 Winners Announced
January 24, 2020 Orientation
January 30, 2020 Finalist Celebrtion at Behind The Seams RSVP HERE
January 31, 2020 3 Winners Move In (Required to move in on this day)
Mandatory Class Dates TBD
July 18 or July 25, 2020 Tentative Fashion Show
July 29, 2020 Exit Interview
July 30-31, 2020 Move Out (Required to move out on this day, which includes removal of all personal property, return of keys and vacating private office and work space after returning those spaces to the condition at move In)
Deadline to apply December 10, 2019 midnight
Watch the Designer's CULTIVATE Fashion Show videos HERE.
Special thanks to local business partners helping to make this program a possibility for local fashion designers!
Jay McPhaul of Naked Rebellion